I Have No Fear Of Drowning...

As a child growing up in the Episcopal church, my life was defined by my faith. I sang in the church choir at the young age of 7, I started attending youth group as a pre-teen, and fervently went to Christian concerts. I even went so far as to "Kiss Dating Goodbye" (anyone else remember that book?) in high school after reading the religious text, even though I had never dated to begin with. After my faith has grown, changed, shifted, and re-arranged itself in the spaces of my mind and heart, I am a completely different person than the little girl kneeling at the wooden pew 20 years ago. My faith is more personal to me now. What used to be an outward declaration of unabashed pride and certainty has given way to reflection, quiet and calm, about my humility as but a mere grain of sand who cannot even begin to fathom the mystery of the framework known as life. I have accepted my ignorance, and I honestly wish more would do the same. Admittedly, I haven't been to church in awhile due to my serious contention with many of their pompous and closed-minded "beliefs." If I ever do find a place of worship that uses both its rational mind, and an accepting, nonjudgmental heart, I will go back. I have seen too many "outcasts" of the church hurt by them to see a clear reflection of Jesus and His teachings. It breaks my heart, but if I am going to be a follower, I want to spread love not hate.

So, on that note, today's song is by a Christian artist whom I still admire. While some artists of a religious nature give off a cheesy irrelevant vibe, these guys are timeless in their sound and message. This song speaks of the fearlessness they have towards death, and ironically, how they struggle in this earthly life. Who can't relate to the idea that living can be hard? I love the concept of the video, too. So simple, yet it conveys the message of the song. While a lot of videos don't seem to worry about lyrics, this one does, and the effect is pretty awesome.

Jars of Clay: "Work"

On a side note, I've seen these guys live and they are pretty good. Of course, this was a loooong time ago when I was a wee lil' Becca.

Comments

  1. Muahhahaha hahahah all i could think about when i listened to this song was "What the heck is professor Snape doing singing for a christian band?" hahahhahaa lol good song thoughlol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts