War And Peace

Now here's a song with some strong context behind it. In 2003, lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, Natalie Maines, commented during her tour in London that she was "ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas." This, of course, was aimed towards George W. Bush, the current president at the time. This was because of her stance against sending our men and women into battle. People were outraged and the hate came spewing from their mouths. Some of the lyrics (in the song I'm sharing with you) give a glimpse into peoples' reactions because it was created in response to the very public backlash towards her comment about the President. Backlash such as death threats and people convincing their children that these musicians are to be hated:
And how in the world
Can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Saying that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over.


It's a sad sad story
When a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought'a hate a perfect stranger

In an interview, when asked if she felt vindicated (by writing this song I'm going to share with you), she said "No, because people are dying."

Now, although her statement about the president was highly controversial, I am glad she stood up for peace. My husband is in the Marines, and while I absolutely support him and all our troops, it upsets me to no end that he, and those that fought beside him, had to risk their lives-- some of the paying the ultimate price.While I deeply appreciate that they are fighting for our freedom, I wish they didn't have to fight at all.

I know what it's like to wait behind during a deployment hoping the man you love with every ounce, every fiber of your being, whom you cannot imagine life without, will make it home to you, never quite sure if he will. I know what it's like to cry yourself to sleep with images of being handed a folded flag instead of his warm arms. I know what its like not to get an e-mail or phone call for days, worried out of your mind, hoping they don't knock on your door. I know what it's like to have an on-line support group and read on a nearly weekly basis, the stories of widows and their strength to push through the recent news of their husband's death, while you hope you aren't next. I am extremely blessed (to say the least) that my husband returned home safely to me. Some weren't so fortunate and have a very different story to tell. For that and more, I say, yes, let there be peace. And what's wrong with saying something about it?

Dixie Chicks: "Not Ready To Make Nice"


Comments

  1. AWESOME POST BABY!!!! SOO TRUE!!!!!AND GOOD SONG:) I love you like nothing else baby:) thank you for being amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. I was nervous to post, but felt better once you reassured me. :) I love you like nothing else too. :) Aww you're welcome! Right back at ya! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts