Facebook Ambivalence

I have a confession to make: I didn't get on Facebook all day yesterday. While that is nothing too revolutionary, and I actually do that (skip a day or two of Facebook perusing) quite often, this time I learned something. I found that I am happier. Weird? Perhaps, but I doubt I'm alone. Maybe it's a first-world problem, but when I log onto Facebook (with which I have an ambivalent relationship), I often feel pangs of jealousy (You went to Italy? That's greaaat), regret (I haven't contacted you in years, you are a great friend/human being, so the more time passes the more I feel our friendship has slipped from "friendship" status to "acquaintance" status-- I blame myself for that), and annoyance (You are seriously posting that meme or picture that is infantile, asinine, and grates on my nerves? Would I be this annoyed if we just met up face-to-face rather than seeing your silly posts (A.K.A. forwarded pics and silly statuses) clutter my newsfeed? Probably not).

Maybe I'm not cut out to be "Facebook material". After all, I rarely post something myself (for fear of annoying others as I feel annoyed-- I'm following the love thy neighbor as thyself rule, no?), and often my time is spent reading the posts of others which, see above, drive me bonkers! I used to love reading what people were doing and their witty quips, but lately it is flat out silly, boring, or uninformative. Where is the substance? Sure, there are some substance-worthy posts and bits of information, but those tend to be in the minority. As I write this, I realize how I sound: pompous and snotty. I don't think I am. I think I am simply voicing what lots of others are feeling, but don't want to confess for one reason or another. For this group of people: Is our relationship with Facebook over? Or is it merely "complicated"?

Savage Garden: "I Want You"

 Ooh I want you, I don't know if I need you but/
Ooh I'd die to find out

Comments

Popular Posts