The Voice: Season 4 Premiere

As those of you who follow my blog know, I'm a big fan of the music reality show The Voice. It has solid performers, the judges are actually coaches who give hands-on mentoring, the song selections are usually good, and the coaches are well-known, talented artists. So it is no surprise that I tuned into the season 4 premiere last night. I knew this season would be different (Shakira and Usher took the places of Christina Aguilera and Cee-Lo Green), I just didn't know how different.

I gotta say: So far, I'm not a fan. It feels as though the show has lost the magic, and now its chock full of rote jokes about why each coach is best. Perhaps it's because I'm already three seasons in, so the jokes are (understandably) stale, the blind auditions seem fake or forced. But I'm wondering if it is because of the new coaches. The magic isn't there and a few more things are missing as well. I thought aloud to my husband last night, "Who will mentor the belters (Christina's forte)? And what about the loveable misfits, the freaks, the outrageously creative musicians (that I adore and Cee-Lo always snatched up on his consistently strong team)?" Shakira, in my mind, is more of a performer or dancer (think Britney Spears) and Usher is a Hip-Hop/R&B artist. Sure he can sing, but he isn't the soulful female belter Christina is and he certainly doesn't let his freak flag fly like Cee-Lo. And then there's the ever-important question: Who will bring their adorable pets on the show? I miss Purr-fect (Cee-Lo's cat, for those of you who don't watch the show).

So what do you guys think? Did it feel like the original Voice magic was somehow lost last night? Will the show pick up steam as it progresses? I just don't see that happening. Maybe I'm jaded, or maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly, but during past seasons viewings, I was hooked from the first blind audition.

I'm also wondering why the coaches seem unnaturally excited about contestants with mediocre talent (the girl who sang "Mean") and not thrilled with contestants that I felt deserved higher praise (how creative was "I'm Sexy and I Know It"? Where's Cee-Lo to snatch that guy up oh-so eagerly?)

I hope this season gets better. Otherwise, to be completely honest, I'm not sure if The Voice will keep this viewer. I miss you, Christina and Cee-Lo. Come back please.

Five: "When The Lights Go Out"

Comments

Popular Posts