Baroque Pop Love Affair Or, Part Of My Soul Is Still In 1967

One of the chapters in my upcoming book about improv and life (what else is there, really? Oh, music, yes...and art...and cats...), includes my theory that people are essentially instruments. We are all different varieties and types of instruments playing in a plethora of ways. When we create art together, we are combining our unique sounds to create a brand new song.

Speaking of putting together unexpected combinations of sound, is the infectious and oh-so-lovely, Baroque Pop. It pervaded the 1960s with its big, elaborate soundscapes and harpsichord often in the foreground. It's easy to get carried away when listening to tunes in this genre. It is a beautiful aural illustration of how two seemingly contradictory things (classical music and pop music) can be combined to extraordinary effect.

Baroque Pop is probably one of my favorite musical genres next to Synthpop. It makes me feel like I am back in a simpler time laying by a warm fire, drinking a brandy. (I don't normally choose brandy, but in this situation it seemed fitting.) Ahh, Baroque Pop, you complete me.

The Turtles: "Me About You"

And because about a month ago, I had this next song randomly pop into my head for nearly a week straight:

The Hollies: "Carrie Anne"

Also, this next one showcases the harpsichord-- you can't miss it! Kinda like any Doors song, actually when I think about it.

Strawberry Alarm Clock: "Incense and Peppermints"

It's always fun when the drummer sings, right? I get taken aback to Micky Dolenz. Can't think of too many more, though. I think it's fairly rare.

...God, I love the 60s...
*big, starry eyes with batting eyelashes*

Oh, and this next one has to be added to the list just on accord of their name, The Electric Prunes:

The Electric Prunes (Or sometimes referred to "I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)". Looks like they are indecisive like me!): "Are You Lovin' Me More (But Enjoying It Less)"

I think perhaps the 60s feels like home, or love, to me.

Comments

Popular Posts