Don't You Forget About Me

...We sure didn't, Simple Minds. We sure didn't.

I love the resurgence of 80s/90s artists in the music scene. In a lovely, unexpected twist of events, my childhood is resurfacing. And this resurfacing is not only on a pop culture level but, if I'm being completely real, on an emotional and spiritual level as well. I think there comes a point in someone's life where they reflect back on the past and decide what needs healing. Sometimes we are carrying baggage that we are completely unaware of-- and oftentimes, for no reason. What a relief to find you can set it down, lighten your load, and keep steadfast down the path of life...Life is this strange, twisty-turn-y, sweet then sour and sweet again kind of candy.

I digress.

So, needless to say all things childhood for us 20-30-somethings is coming back. This means some of our favorite bands have decided to pick up the ol' six string, dust off the old synthesizer and get back at it. New music from old artists. I love it.

Simple Minds is one such artist that have decided to give recent years a go-- to throw out their new sound and see how it is received. I imagine it would be extremely intimidating to change as an artist-- personally and professionally-- and not be sure how fans will like the evolved you. And I must admit, while I've been listening to this new album for about a week now (to get my first, second, third (and so on) impressions), I am still not sure how I feel about it. I get the sense that my love will grow over time. I really think it just might be one of those albums (we all have them): It starts out good enough and develops into a deeper love over time as nuances in each song are discovered. While I am not as in love with this album as I'd like to be, I am enjoying their lyrical messages and overall focus (one I'm mostly interpreting to be a walk between spiritual and physical realms). I also appreciate that they kept their synth-laden sound. I'm posting a few of my personal stand-outs below.

Simple Minds: "The Signal and The Noise"

Simple Minds: "Silent Kiss"

Simple Minds: "Walk Between Worlds"

Comments

Popular Posts