How Country Feels

So I guess I answered my own question on yesterday's topic: I watched more of The Walking Dead. I suppose it's too late and I'm hooked, or I've been bitten, rather. I suppose I'll find ways to cope with the gore since the intrigue of the storyline outweighs my horror-film sensitivities.

Moving on...

I work in a shop 10 hours a day with no lunch breaks (I eat at my desk). Sometimes this makes for long, boring days. But perhaps what irritates me the most is the choice in music radio station. The station we listen to is a country one, which is fine; however, they play the same 10 songs over and over and over...Multiply those songs by a 10-hour-no-lunch-break work environment and you've gone country crazy. You know that recent hit where he sings "let me show you how country feels"? Well, I've gotten so delusional to the point of answering him in my office with a hearty, "annoying!"

So, I thought it would be fun to write a letter to this dear radio station-- just for kicks. Doubt I could ever send it because the DJs seem nice and well-intentioned enough (I'm sure they have little say in the programming anyway). Plus, I scored a minor victory when I was able to change it to a rock station that plays a *gasp* variety of music. That only lasted about an hour 'til the boss changed it back. Grr. So here is my mock letter:

Dear Y108,

First, let me start off by saying you seem like very nice people with the greatest of intentions. However, your selection of music is rather limited and this distresses me greatly. You see, the breadth of country music spans as long and as wide as the Great Plains. With this plethora of artists, you would hope a radio station would show perhaps an inkling of variety in its programming. With Y108, unfortunately, I find this not to be true. While sitting at my desk, as a prisoner to your music selection for 10 hours straight (no lunch break, we eat at our desks), I am forced to hear the same 10-15 songs in constant repetition. When the first few notes are struck during one of your "repeat offenders" I feel the hair in the back of my neck stand up, my blood boil, and my muscles tighten. It feels like Chinese water torture for the ears. As you may or may not know, the technique of using a constant repetition of dripping water on one's face drives them mad. It's not the water itself that drives a person crazy, but the constant repetition. That, my dear radio station, is the problem. Where's the variety? The zest for something different? It doesn't have to be new. Some of my favorite songs you play are older tunes. 

So please, I beg of you: Stop torturing us with monotony, branch out and really play music, not just current hits. I think you'll find a wider, and happier audience base because of it.

Best regards,

Rebecca


P.S.- I want to leave on a note of humor, so I've come up with something.


Country Artists Love (A Drinking Game):
Listen to Y108 and when you hear this word or theme in a song, take a drink. Whenever they talk about drinking, take a drink automatically. Whenever they are grammatically incorrect take a drink (i.e. "Baby you a song"...really?!).

Carrie Underwood loves...Revenge.
Blake Shelton loves...Women.
Kenny Chesney loves...The Beach.
Hunter Hayes loves...Sappy Romance.
Eric Church loves...Bruce Springsteen.
Luke Bryan loves...Sex.
Toby Keith loves...Drinking.
Brad Paisley loves...The South.
Taylor Swift loves...Dating...A lot.

Thank God for Miranda...She can do no wrong: Miranda Lambert: "Fastest Girl In Town"

Comments

Popular Posts