Call It Déjà Vu

Ok, Ok, Ok. I know when to admit I'm obsessed.

And have a problem.

I cannot stop listening to Arcadia! How did my younger self never discover the greatness that spawned from the original greatness that is Duran Duran?!

So, in my earlier post introducing the band, I originally gave you the thumping beat of "Election Day" . This time around, I found a track a bit deeper down the album listing. There is something so beautiful & haunting about the lyrics, the rhythm, and Le Bon's (always) carefully crafted theatricality. Really, throughout the entire album, he finds words and moments to stretch, punctuate, stir, and essentially transmute through his charismatic alchemy. On this track, one moment of singing magic alchemy that particularly puts a spell on me is when he breaks apart the word "coincidence" into the punchy co-in-ci-dence. Magic, I tell you, magic.

Grace Jones' sultry intro, the lead up to the first verse, then the build up to the bridge...and then the chorus...Ahh, have they built the perfect 80s synthpop song? Depeche Mode bettah watch out! (Not really, but kinda.) Growing up, I used to say Duran Duran was my favorite 80s band (well, this was after I had my NKOTB phase at an unusually young age, I might add...5 or 6 years old?); however, I later realized I was in love with Depeche Mode and dubbed them my synthpop kings...And here we are full circle. Although, if someone asked me to choose between hanging out with Nick Rhodes and Martin L. Gore, I'd say, "Both?" *shrugs and then hangs out with the coolest synth Gods known to man*. 

And the video. My God. It's perfection. The campy, retro aesthetic pairs perfectly with the music that inspired it. Can't get much better than that, folks.

So, it is my honor and pleasure (really, part of me wants to keep this to myself, but it is just too good not to share) to introduce (or remind you about)...

The Flame (one of my favorite tracks from SRTR) by Arcadia:

Arcadia: "The Flame"

Comments

Popular Posts