I'm Gonna Swing From The Chandelier

God, I love Sia. So glad she's finally getting her due respect. The woman has penned hit after hit for some of the biggest stars in pop music (Rihanna, Katy Perry, Beyonce, etc...) but there is something so pure, raw, and real when she sings her own songs.

This is especially true with her latest hit "Chandelier", a story of out-of-control partying and alcoholism. The accompanying video is truly haunting and sad all at once. I imagine the young girl to represent Sia, who has admitted past struggles with drugs and alcohol. Her manic dancing from room to room in a run-down apartment further symbolizes the madness of addiction-- a ruthless cycle of "1,2,3, 1,2,3, drink..." and later "here comes the shame".

I love the beauty of the symbolism. I love that Sia perfectly marries thoughtful lyrics to melody. And I love that she was able to artistically express her music through dance. This is so refreshing considering the fluff (albeit sometimes fun fluff) that constitues music these days.

Sia: "Chandelier"

Comments

Popular Posts