Fail Post: The Time I Attempted To Straighten My Curly Hair

As some of you may have gleaned from previous posts, I have naturally curly hair. I've actually come to love it within the past few years as I have learned to work with it using something called "The Curly Girl Method." If you also have wavy or curly hair (and really that's the majority of people, even those of you hiding behind your flat irons, we see you), then I highly recommend googling and doing some research. It will transform your hair and life, although to be honest you have to put in the time and endure period of awkard hair before it magically becomes The-Hair I've-Always-Wanted-Or-At-Least-Manageable-Amen.

However, since I've been on this curly high for a few years now, I was jonesing for a change, namely something that wouldn't set back all the hard work I've put into my damage-free hair. So, naturally I watched a YouTube video on straightening hair without using heat. For those of you that don't know, heat is one of the dire enemies of curly hair. It fries it making it prone to uncontrollable frizzies. The less heat we expose our hair to the happier--A.K.A. tamer-- our hair becomes. So I found a video that used rollers to essentially stretch the hair, thus making it straight.

Well, ladies and gentleman, I wish I had a picture to share, but alas I do not. I humbly declare that my hair did not, in fact, straighten, but rather transformed into a Cowardly Lion state of sorts. Ya know, the big, blonde poofy mane of doom. My dear husband even remarked, "It looks big." Man code for: Your hair is enormous, like a lion's mane and not cute. But, he's sweet so it might not have meant any of those at all. In fact I, trying to find the silver lining in my time consuming straightening efforts (oh, ya know, 3-4 hours of drying time with huge barrels on my head), comforted myself with, "Well, I think I look like one of those runway models."

Exhibit A:

See? Not bad. Haute Couture, I say!

I also expressed that I felt like a southern beauty pageant contestant not too far from Honey Boo Boo herself (guilty pleasure TV alert):



I love Miranda, and I'm from the south, so really I can live with the big hair.

....

The funny thing is, after all of the mayhem and madness as my hair continued to grow throughout the night (I finally threw in the towel and rodeo-ed my mane into a ponytail), I learned that I love my natural self best. It fits me-- my personality, my bubbliness, and my inability to be tamed and conformed to the standards of this world. Don't get me wrong, I think straight hair is great, and beautiful, but I also believe in loving what you've got no matter what it is, and this could extend beyond hair to anything really.
Curly hair kitty don't care (and my hunky husband with his wavy hair).

Ah...Curly home sweet home. 

I'm best at being myself and should never try to be anyone else. ♥

...


And your song for the day, lovelies:

 Black Eyed Peas: "Meet Me Halfway"

Comments

Popular Posts