In Defense Of Our Dreams

As a society, we generally subscribe to the belief that higher education solely serves the purpose to make one employable. That, in obtaining the college degree, one should in a sense, get a job that pays well (if not extremely well). This belief system does us a disservice both as a society and as human beings, even to our basic core. It creates metaphorical factories where one stamps a BA or BS on each student as they wear their cap and gown with pride-- hollow of having any deeper skill sets as a human. Sure, these majors (helpful in a business viewpoint) can create lucrative futures (albeit never a guarantee); however, they often lack a deeper understanding of the human condition, empathy, and how to live a fuller life while interacting with others (a skill technology finds newer generations leaving behind with a quickness). Since when did money become the focal point of living?

I am a firm believer in learning what you love. Your passion. To hell with practicality and money. Yes, you read that right.

I realize I'm not society's description of "successful": You won't find me in a Fortune 500 company climbing the ranks to CEO. You won't find me trading stocks on Wall Street. I'm not that girl. That's not my destiny. If that's your calling, great. Chase your pot o' gold. I'm not here to judge, I'm here to open minds about a field of study that I find is often misunderstood.

The Arts. I believe they are vital to our existence as humans and I am saddened that fewer see it this way. What a colorless world we would live in without music, poetry, plays, books, painting, dancing, puppetry, and creativity in all its forms. Why do we strive to be such dull marionettes on strings? Where's the joy in that?

Now, as someone who studied Theatre in college, you may cock your head to the side and wonder, "Why? What did you really learn?" Well, in an eloquent way, Hugh Jackman summed it up perfectly during a recent visit to The Actor's Studio (wherein famous actors and actresses are asked about their craft and about themselves personally). Wish I could find the quote, but I may just have to settle for a weak synopsis. He mentioned that everyone should study theatre because it teaches you to be present by living in the moment and to listen and understand other viewpoints (i.e. how to be a decent human being). I couldn't agree more. Now for some things I have learned, and maybe you as a parent need to know what your child is learning by studying an art form, or perhaps you as a student need to remind/inform your parent the paramount importance of you continuing your studies. Whatever the reason you are reading, I hope you will come away with the knowledge that the arts are important. They are necessary. They are building lifelong skills that are making employable workers in today's workforce (really!), but more importantly, productive, interesting, sympathetic members of society.


 What Theatre Has Taught Me (not an exhaustive list):

Theatre has taught me to be present.

Theatre has taught me to listen.

Theatre has taught be to be open to new experiences, to say "yes."

Theatre has taught me to work with a plethora of personalities.

Theatre has taught me the value of hard work.

Theatre has taught me the value of team work.

Theatre has taught me to make a committed decision and stick with it.

Theatre has taught me an appreciation of the classics.

Theatre has taught me how to improvise and therefore think on my feet in any given situation (on or off-stage).

Theatre has taught me how to communicate more clearly, and how to speak in front of groups.

Theatre has taught me the value of confidence.

Theatre has taught me empathy.

Theatre has taught me how to feel alive.

Theatre has taught me the reward of fun after hard work.

Theatre has taught me how to be human.

Frank Turner: "The Way I Tend To Be"

Comments

Popular Posts